Moss Motors, Ltd

Our Sites: Moss USA | Moss Europe
The Moss Motors Forum is now read-only for informational purposes. The Moss Motors forum was
formed at a time when other forums were just getting started and other forums have proven that they
are a better model. We closed the forum because there is an abundance of information on more popular
forums and anything that was being posted, and answered, on our site was diluting the general knowledge
base. We suggest you check out BritishCarForum.com and MGExperience.net for a start.
Welcome to Moss Motors, Ltd Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Power Antenna?

Last post 02-24-2012, 12:13 AM by brandonmillsap. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  10-26-2006, 8:18 AM 1739

Power Antenna?

Has anyone on the forum ever installed a power antenna in their "B"? (In previous posts I've pointed out my lack of electrical expertise)  I love the clean lines this produces when the car is parked.  Seems like a pretty "reversible" modification if I don't like it.  Any other thoughts?
  •  10-26-2006, 8:57 AM 1745 in reply to 1739

Re: Power Antenna?

Are you installing this with the stock AM radio or do you have an aftermarket unit?
    Phoenix | 72 MGB
  •  10-26-2006, 9:03 AM 1746 in reply to 1745

Aftermarket (installed by the DPO)
  •  10-26-2006, 9:25 AM 1750 in reply to 1746

Ok, most aftermarket units have a hookup for power antennas on the wiring harness so that it's only up when the radio is on (vice cassette or cd, when it's not needed).  If your unit doesn't have this, you could always run a splice from the radio power itself or anything else that's on while the car is on and it should put your antenna up when you turn the car on and off while the car's off.  I'd have to look at a schematic for the antenna because it likely has a power hookup and a remote switch to tell it to go up and down.  If this is the case, you'd have to run a battery hot wire to the antenna so that it put itself down after you shut the car off, plus one from the radio to tell it to go up and down. 

Simply, if your aftermarket unit is designed to work with a power antenna, it should be easy.  If not...  I probably wouldn't bother.  Well, I say that, but I'd probably get creative.  If you're not electrically inclined, I would probably shy away lest you become the DPO.

Phoenix | 72 MGB
  •  10-27-2006, 12:31 PM 1797 in reply to 1739

I bought a power antenna from Radio Shack.  Hooked its power supply to the purple circuit behind the cigar lighter.  The deck triggers a relay to make it go up and down.  I installed a switch to keep it down while I'm listening to CDs.
  •  10-27-2006, 12:39 PM 1801 in reply to 1797

Kimberly:
    I bought a power antenna from Radio Shack.  Hooked its power supply to the purple circuit behind the cigar lighter.  The deck triggers a relay to make it go up and down.  I installed a switch to keep it down while I'm listening to CDs.

You don't happen to remember the "depth" of the motor portion, do you?  I ask becuase my '73 is one of those with the antenna on the fender well just in front of the windscreen on the passenger side and there's not a lot of room in there.  I like the way you've hooked yours up, BTW.

R.

•  10-27-2006, 12:52 PM 1803 in reply to 1801

Mine is in the same location...was going to run to RS this weekend to see what kind of "profile" they have when mounted. 
  •  10-27-2006, 3:58 PM 1814 in reply to 1801

Can't remember the dimensions of the motor on the antenna.  It was twenty to thirty dollars less than the local auto parts stores.  With having to purchase extra snap sleeves and bullet connectors, rocker switch (about the same size of the hazard switch for a '78, I removed one of the blanks on the dash to install), and the antenna itself, the costs were less than fifty dollars.  I used the bullet connectors and the snap sleeves to splice into the car's wiring so I wouldn't have to cut the car's wiring.  The reception I receive from the antenna is better than the antennas on my Ford and Toyota.

The previous owner cut into the side panel on the left side of the driver's footwell which allowed easy access to installing the antenna.  He had planned to install a power antenna and never got around to it.

•  02-24-2012, 12:13 AM 26515 in reply to 1739

just wanna ask how to replace power antenna??and Does having a power antenna make anything better? just wondering.. thanks..