Moss Motors, Ltd

Our Sites: Moss USA | Moss Europe
The Moss Motors Forum is now read-only for informational purposes. The Moss Motors forum was
formed at a time when other forums were just getting started and other forums have proven that they
are a better model. We closed the forum because there is an abundance of information on more popular
forums and anything that was being posted, and answered, on our site was diluting the general knowledge
base. We suggest you check out BritishCarForum.com and MGExperience.net for a start.
Welcome to Moss Motors, Ltd Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

How much does a complete MGB engine/tranny weigh?

Last post 07-21-2012, 6:03 AM by ramerenz. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  06-27-2007, 6:34 PM 8060

How much does a complete MGB engine/tranny weigh?

Does anyone know the definitive answer to how much a complete MGB engine/tranny combo weighs?

Same question for the TR-8 combo.

Same for the Ford 5.0 w/ 5 speed combo. How about w/ all the aluminum stuff?

Let's get some real #s for comparison.

Just curious! 

LCJUTILA 

•  06-28-2007, 6:00 PM 8073 in reply to 8060

Re: How much does a complete MGB engine/tranny weigh?

I spoke to Pete Mantell at Mantell Motorsport this spring as he was doing a V8 conversion on a customer's MGB Since he had all the bits ready to go, he was able to do a particularly apples-to-apples comparison.

Pete removed the MGB engine and four speed (non-overdrive) tranny as a unit, and weighed them complete with intake, carbs, exhaust manifold, starter, alternator, and even shifter lever ---> 468 pounds.

(Obviously, an overdrive tranny would have weighed a little more.)  

Pete then weighed the replacement package: a fully dressed Buick 215 with T5 (5 speed) transmission, intake, 4-barrel carb, RV8-style headers, starter, alternator, and shifter lever ---> 443 pounds.

A Rover (or TR8) motor should weigh almost exactly the same as the Buick motor except for just one or two components. Most obviously, many people who use the old Buick 215 use original Buick flywheels. The Buick flywheels can weigh up to about fourteen pounds more than aftermarket flywheels. They came in different versions... heavier flywheels for heavier 4-door models, etc. There are, of course, places to shave some weight too... For example, I believe the Buick (Delco-Remy) starter is about ten pounds heavier than an aftermarket gear reduction starter.

The wide variance in reported weight savings/increases is complicated by other items that tend to get changed at the time of conversion. I could give many examples, but I'll just give one here: The MGB (Salisbury) rear axle is plenty strong for a 200hp, 2400-pound MGB but it typically gets replaced anyway if for no other reason than to get a more appropriate gear ratio and/or a limited-slip differential. A Ford 8.8 or 9 inch axle would typically weigh more, whereas a Ford 8 inch axle might weigh significantly less (especially if an aftermarket aluminum carrier is used.)   

Quote: "Same for the Ford 5.0 w/ 5 speed combo. How about w/ all the aluminum stuff?" 

You know, aftermarket "small block Ford" aluminum engine blocks are available if you've got the big bucks! That's a whole new can of worms. The weight variation among Ford installations will inevitably be greater just because small block Ford engines have been used in many car models/years and also because there are so many aftermarket parts available. Also, if you're setting up to produce more horsepower and torque, you're somewhat more likely to select heavier driveline components (tranny, axle, driveshaft, etc.) and probably even bigger wheels and tires. One book recommends upgrading from 4 to 5 lug wheels if you do a Ford conversion (to accomodate more torque). Personally, I'm skeptical that's necessary, but that kind of thinking can add up to a lot of scope creep and weight increase.

•  06-28-2007, 8:10 PM 8076 in reply to 8073

British V-8-

Thanks for the response. I'm thinking iron block, aluminum head and intake, T-5 tranny, maybe aluminum flywheel and w/pump. Nothing else except  regular stuff.. I know you could get an aluminum radiator too. Probably not a bad idea. Maybe for comparison we could say an aluminim block would be good for 80 less pounds?

Would you really need a heavy duty tranny? Wouldn't the light weight and wheel spin keep you from breaking stuff unless you are a real knucklehead abuser of all things mechanical. 

LCJUTILA 

•  06-28-2007, 11:11 PM 8077 in reply to 8076

Well, if you're thinking "Ford" then this article is a good starting point: http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/MGB-Ford-302-Conversion.htm

As it reports, at last year's British V8 meet Pete Mantell showed a Ford Motorsport aluminum engine block that weighed in at 100 pounds, whereas the comparable iron block would have weighed about 160. 

I'd like to see a pragmatic analysis of radiator options. I'm not sure how much weight savings is really feasible with aluminum radiators. For one thing, the tubes have thicker walls...     

This article will walk you through some of the Ford tranny options: http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Ford-Transmission-Options.htm 

•  07-21-2012, 6:03 AM 27003 in reply to 8060

lcjutila:

Does anyone know the definitive answer to how much a complete MGB engine/tranny combo weighs?

Same question for the TR-8 combo.

Same for the Ford 5.0 w/ 5 speed combo. How about w/ all the aluminum stuff?

Let's get some real #s for comparison.

Just curious! 

LCJUTILA 

I think 468 pounds, assuming you ship everything right down to the alternator, starter, exhaust manifold and gear shifter. 

List of Ford products

171,947 Ford items In-Stock