Moss Motors, Ltd

Our Sites: Moss USA | Moss Europe
The Moss Motors Forum is now read-only for informational purposes. The Moss Motors forum was
formed at a time when other forums were just getting started and other forums have proven that they
are a better model. We closed the forum because there is an abundance of information on more popular
forums and anything that was being posted, and answered, on our site was diluting the general knowledge
base. We suggest you check out BritishCarForum.com and MGExperience.net for a start.
Welcome to Moss Motors, Ltd Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Temperature Gauge/Sensor

Last post 06-27-2007, 4:53 AM by skyskir. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  05-01-2007, 8:04 PM 6522

Temperature Gauge/Sensor

I just pruchased a mostly restored 1960 Bugeye. The temp gauge doesnt work and I dont fully understand the mechanics as to how the temp is transmitted to the gauge. I have the tube runninfg fromthe radiator to the gauge, but havent opened it up to take a look on the radiator suide.. Can someone explain the mechanics of the temp sensing unit, the trasmission tube and the gauge. I suspect I'm missing something. Cant get much helpl in the Moss Parts catalog. ?????
  •  05-06-2007, 2:23 AM 6640 in reply to 6522

Re: Temperature Gauge/Sensor

Don't take this as gospel, but your sending unit should look like a brass nut with an electric wire.  It is either in the thermostat housing (look near where the radiator hoses attach to the head) or in the block.  Don't confuse it with the oil temp/pressure sending unit (if you indeed have one).  If you have a manual (highly recommended) it should show you where to look. 
  •  05-06-2007, 6:24 AM 6648 in reply to 6522

Hi - I don't know what type of temp gauge your Bugeye has but most MG Midgets (like my 76 Midget) use a metal bulb and metal line (filled with ether).  The temp gauge isn't like the normal electrical type and doesn't require electricity.  They can be repaired.  Here is an article on how to repair one.

http://www.ply33.com/Repair/tempgauge

Also, there are instrument and gauge repair shops listed in Hemmings Motor News.  Check Hemmings Motor News on-line or buy a copy at your local bookstore.

Hope this info helps.

Tony  

•  06-27-2007, 4:53 AM 8046 in reply to 6648

I have a 1958 bugeye and recently had a discussion with a moss representative.  If you have a tube it is an ether filled tube going from the radiator to the dash board.  This is one unit and will need to be taken out and sent to Moss for restauration.  It seems mine has been replaced as I have a wire attaching to the radiator.