Moss Motors, Ltd

Our Sites: Moss USA | Moss Europe
The Moss Motors Forum is now read-only for informational purposes. The Moss Motors forum was
formed at a time when other forums were just getting started and other forums have proven that they
are a better model. We closed the forum because there is an abundance of information on more popular
forums and anything that was being posted, and answered, on our site was diluting the general knowledge
base. We suggest you check out BritishCarForum.com and MGExperience.net for a start.
Welcome to Moss Motors, Ltd Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Spigot Bushing on 78 MGB

Last post 04-19-2007, 10:27 AM by tf78b. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  04-02-2007, 5:37 PM 5775

Spigot Bushing on 78 MGB

I am trying to remove the spigot bushing and the rear seal on an 78 MGB.  The shop manual shows a special tools for this, can not find in any catelog.  Anybody know how to remove them without the special tools?

Thanks

•  04-02-2007, 6:16 PM 5776 in reply to 5775

Re: Spigot Bushing on 78 MGB

tf78b,

No problem. I assume you are trying to do this job with the engine in the car. First, let's do the seal. I will assume that you have a fresh new seal to put in place. Knock back the lock tab segments of the seal retainer. Now take a very narrow chisel, or even a screwdriver and work it between the seal and the engine backplate by tapping on it with a very small ball pien hammer. You need to be careful here so that you don't mar the crankshaft or the backplate,mostly the crankshaft. You'll find that you will eventually begin to distort the seal, at which point you can pry it out of the backplate. Of course, you'll want to observe just how deeply the seal is "planted" in the backplate so that you can judge how far to push the new part in before refitting the retainer and bolts. Sometimes the crankshaft has gotten a pronounced groove worn around its circumference from lots of miles, revolutions, and dirty oil. This will reduce the effective tension of the seal. If you're very careful, you can find a different depth at which to install the seal to give it fresh "land" to seal against. The spigot bush is another matter.

In fact, you may want to do the bushing first. It's messy. You need to find or make a shaft of wood or plastic (nylon or delrin are ideal). This shaft should be eight to ten inches long and needs to fit snugly but not extremely tightly into the spigot bush. (unfortunately, the plastic pilot tool that comes with a new clutch doesn't fit well enough and isn't up to the beating) O.K., now get some very heavy duty grease. Fill the bushing hole and all the space behind it with the grease. Leave no air. Finally, insert the shaft or dowel you have found or created into the bush a short distance. You shouldn't be able to get the dowel in very far if you have gotten a good fit. Now grab the biggest hammer you've got and whack the end of the shaft a good shot. In some cases the bushing will pop out on the first hit. What you have created is a displacement pump with the shaft as a piston. Something has to give. It's usually the bushing. Sometimes you have to keep banging away for a bit. I have only had this method fail once. The bushing has been loctited in place. The shaft itself gave up. I'll bet this isn't the case with your car. Give it a go. You may want to drape a wiper rag over the work as you hammer on it. It WILL spew grease, but when that bushing jumps out, you'll laugh. I guarantee it.

Motorbill
    From Lola to Land Rover, If it's British and has wheels, it's likely I've bloodied me knuckles thereupon
  •  04-03-2007, 5:07 AM 5783 in reply to 5776

Thanks,

Engine is out of the car and fly wheel is off.  I am working on a 5-speed conversion so if it pops out grease and all I need a laugh.

•  04-03-2007, 6:12 AM 5785 in reply to 5775

Bill's method is correct. I've had that busing pop out just the way he describes.

Before installing the new pilot bush, put it in the fridge for a few minutes then coat it with a little WD-40. Be gentle putting it in. Small taps with a small hammer and a 7/16 short bolt as a driver. Make sure it goes all the way in, and don't forget to put a little grease in it. Not too much, or it will pop out as Bill described.

"Cogito ergo Zoom"
    "Love your freedom? Thank a Veteran"
  •  04-03-2007, 6:19 AM 5786 in reply to 5783

tf

If the engine is out of the car you may want to consider pulling the rear plate off. Replacing the gasket is a good idea at this point. Sometimes the gasket that's supplied is a bit "shrunken". If so, soak it in warm water for a couple of minutes. Then, carefully put it in place and insert all the bolts through the holes in the paper. Let it dry this way until it is still just the slightest bit damp. If you let it dry all the way to hard it's likely it will shrink back to where it was when you got it. This whole bit is only needed if it's undersize when you recieve it. Check it out first.

Clean the gasket surfaces especially well. When you put this part in place, use Permatex "Aviation Style" cement in the little plastic jar with the applicator brush attatched to the cap. DON'T use silicone cement. That's the fastest way to wreck the gasket and to not seal the joint. Don't be shy with the cement. People grouse about these cars leaking oil all the time, but I manage to build leak free MGB engines consistently. You need to know what cement to use where and how much, and to stay away from silicone cements. They are only good for metal to metal contact (in very spare amounts) where it occurs. Excuse the lecture, please. But, you'll be putting this whole deal back in the car and I'll bet you'd like to leave it there for a long time. These back plates leak often enough, and a lot of folks blame the rear main seal when that's not where the oil's coming from. Good luck.

Motorbill
    From Lola to Land Rover, If it's British and has wheels, it's likely I've bloodied me knuckles thereupon
  •  04-03-2007, 6:25 PM 5802 in reply to 5786

Thanks, just ordered the gasket.

I also found a 1 1/8" round wooden stock at a home store which fits nicely in the spigot, hopefully will get home early enough tomorrow night to give it a try.

•  04-08-2007, 12:08 PM 6005 in reply to 5802

Refitting the new pilot bearing (the US word for the UK "spigot bush") might be a bit of a chore. It certainly was when I put my Datsun 5-speed in. Had to beat the snot out of it and then use a dremel tool to remove burrs and chamfer the ID.

Old Fart
    71 GT project
    73 Roadster runner
  •  04-19-2007, 10:27 AM 6303 in reply to 5776

Shaft and grease did not work.  Trying to find a puller that will get it out.