Moss Motors, Ltd

Our Sites: Moss USA | Moss Europe
The Moss Motors Forum is now read-only for informational purposes. The Moss Motors forum was
formed at a time when other forums were just getting started and other forums have proven that they
are a better model. We closed the forum because there is an abundance of information on more popular
forums and anything that was being posted, and answered, on our site was diluting the general knowledge
base. We suggest you check out BritishCarForum.com and MGExperience.net for a start.
Welcome to Moss Motors, Ltd Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

How to Adjust the Camber of the front wheels

Last post 05-26-2011, 5:26 AM by Bill Young. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  05-25-2011, 11:20 PM 25694

How to Adjust the Camber of the front wheels

I have a 1976 Midget 1500, and I live in the white mountains of Arizona at about 8,000 foot altitude. The nearest MG shop is about 200 miles away. Only one place on the mountain ( about 40 miles away ) can even measure the camber..... but neither they nor I have any clue as to how to adjust the camber. Does anyone out there know of a manual or instruction booklet out there that we could get hold of? Please ?
  •  05-26-2011, 5:26 AM 25695 in reply to 25694

Re: How to Adjust the Camber of the front wheels

Caster and camber are not adjustable on the MG Midget front suspension. The only adjustment is for toe.

In most cases excessive camber is caused by worn suspension bushings either in the upper trunion or the inner lower A frame mounts. Wear in the lower trunions can affect it a bit, but usually very little as these are not rubber bushed and even if worn don't move much laterally. Both of those locations originally used rubber bushings that wear or soften quickly and allow the suspension to move and produce more negative camber. I highly recommend replacing those bushings with either new ones or preferably new polyurethane bushings before checking the camber or toe. I'm not sure what the original factory specs are for camber or caster since they were not adjustable, but I check the camber on my car using a flat piece of steel bar stock that will span the wheel bead area on the wheel rim and a magnetic angle gauge I bought from Harbor Freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-angle-gauge-95998.html  If the camber is more than about 1.5 degrees negative, (top of tire leans in) and the bushings are new then I'd suspect some frame damage or wear in the shocks. The camber on my car is around 2.5 negative but except for uneven tire wear on the front it still handles and drives well. With smaller tires (I have 205s on 7" wide rims) the wear wouldn't be nearly as pronounced and probalby not a problem at all.

'73 Midget (V6)
    '59 MGA (I6) under construction
    '73 Lotus Europa
    '52 MG TD kit car body project.
    '98 Jag XK8

"There is a fine line between a hobby and mental illness"