Moss Motors, Ltd

Our Sites: Moss USA | Moss Europe
The Moss Motors Forum is now read-only for informational purposes. The Moss Motors forum was
formed at a time when other forums were just getting started and other forums have proven that they
are a better model. We closed the forum because there is an abundance of information on more popular
forums and anything that was being posted, and answered, on our site was diluting the general knowledge
base. We suggest you check out BritishCarForum.com and MGExperience.net for a start.
Welcome to Moss Motors, Ltd Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Removing the catalytic converter on a 1978 MGB

Last post 03-30-2011, 12:54 AM by ramerenz. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-23-2011, 4:28 PM 25324

Removing the catalytic converter on a 1978 MGB

I live in Florida (no emmisions tests) and would like to eliminate the catalytic converter on my 1978 MGB for off road purposes. What penalties (if any) will I encounter if I do this, ie.a. Back pressure issues. b.Will it affect how the vehicle operates.Or can anybody tell me if this is not a good idea for any other reason (other than the pollution aspect).  Your replies would be appreciated.Thanks.

•  02-27-2011, 12:01 AM 25338 in reply to 25324

Re: Removing the catalytic converter on a 1978 MGB

jbird - You really need to post this on the MGB forum further down the list.  It is doubtful that AH 100 & 3000 owners even know what a catalytic converter is - they weren't invented when their cars were on the road Smile

Cheers,
    Dave
    http://homepages.donobi.net/sufuelpumps/
  •  02-27-2011, 7:41 PM 25340 in reply to 25338

And even if they were installed on Big Healeys back then, they would have been knocked off by the first speed bump the car encountered ...  Embarrassed
  •  03-02-2011, 11:57 AM 25358 in reply to 25338

Will do, thanks.
  •  03-30-2011, 12:54 AM 25465 in reply to 25324

jbirdbodine:

I live in Florida (no emmisions tests) and would like to eliminate the catalytic converter on my 1978 MGB for off road purposes. What penalties (if any) will I encounter if I do this, ie.a. Back pressure issues. b.Will it affect how the vehicle operates.Or can anybody tell me if this is not a good idea for any other reason (other than the pollution aspect).  Your replies would be appreciated.Thanks.

i advise you to go to your nearest or very good auto mechanic. however, if your car is on the warranty period, try to bring it up to the dealer so that they can check it..