Moss Motors, Ltd

Our Sites: Moss USA | Moss Europe
The Moss Motors Forum is now read-only for informational purposes. The Moss Motors forum was
formed at a time when other forums were just getting started and other forums have proven that they
are a better model. We closed the forum because there is an abundance of information on more popular
forums and anything that was being posted, and answered, on our site was diluting the general knowledge
base. We suggest you check out BritishCarForum.com and MGExperience.net for a start.
Welcome to Moss Motors, Ltd Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

MGA Suspension Rebuild

Last post 01-15-2010, 6:27 AM by Bill Young. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-09-2010, 2:07 PM 22317

MGA Suspension Rebuild

In my 58 MGA I have decided to use the Moss heavy duty MGB V-8 bushes included in the major suspension kit. Along with polyurethane A-arm bushings.

How can you check for King Pin (swivel pin) wear? I don't want to spend 300.00+ if I don't need to.

Can anyone recommend someone to do the reaming and fitting of the new bushings?

Thanks! 

Jim & Joann Bowlby
    Murfreesboro, TN
  •  01-13-2010, 7:30 AM 22362 in reply to 22317

Re: MGA Suspension Rebuild

jbowlby,

You may have your As and Bs mixed up. The MGA front suspension doesn't use the same kind of king pin and bushings as the B. It uses threaded upper and lower trunnions and a swivel pin that's threaded to match. No reaming is needed. You need to check for sloppiness in the trunnion/swivel pin fit. If they are indeed jiggling about, you'll probably need to replace both. This is neither cheap nor easy, needing a pretty hefty shop press, heat, and a lot of patience in most cases. There is an alternative.

You could convert to an MGB setup. You must have a set of shocks converted, (World Wide Auto does this by rebuilding a set of A shocks with a set of MGB arms, oddly enough, mounted upside down! and use different lower A-arms (the negative camber units offered in the Moss catalog) The neat thing here is that the MGB kingpins are demonstrably stronger, all the MGB suspension mods can be used, and the MGB Brake discs and calipers can be mounted with no further modification (after all, they are mounted to an MGB suspension) MGB calipers, and brakes in general, are much cheaper to service, and the parts are far more plentiful. Just a thought. It's the way I'm going on my "period bad boy sports car MGA" project machine.

It tends to sound complex, but it's really not. I bet if you go to one of the exclusive MG forum type sites it's been layed out chapter and verse by someone, complete with pictures.

Motorbill
    From Lola to Land Rover, If it's British and has wheels, it's likely I've bloodied me knuckles thereupon
  •  01-13-2010, 12:28 PM 22367 in reply to 22362

MotorBill you are exaclty right, it is covered and in good detail on Barney Gaylord's site. http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/suspensn/fs205a.htm  I have done that conversion on my MGA but I used the original MGA shocks with spacers on either side of the MGB upper trunion. The only downside is that the bump stops don't match from the MGB kingpins and the MGA chassis, but that is a minor thing and fairly easy to change with some MGB bump stops welded to the A chassis. The outer tie rods need to be shortend and rethreaded about 3/4" to get the toe set correctly and the brake lines are different, but that's about it.
    '73 Midget (V6)
    '59 MGA (I6) under construction
    '73 Lotus Europa
    '52 MG TD kit car body project.
    '98 Jag XK8

"There is a fine line between a hobby and mental illness"
  •  01-13-2010, 5:49 PM 22372 in reply to 22367

Thanks guy's! Im a little confused about the the foot note on page 33 of the Moss catalog Fall/Winter 2009. 

It states that the new trunnion bushings must be pressed and reamed to fit?  

Jim & Joann Bowlby
    Murfreesboro, TN
  •  01-14-2010, 5:01 AM 22378 in reply to 22372

Once you said trunion bushings I knew exactly what you are talking about. They do indeed need to be reamed to fit over the distance piece so that the trunion rotates smoothly on the bolt and distance piece. These are shown as item 10 in the drawing and circled. The MGB front uses the same type of trunion and cross bolt.     http://www.mossmotors.com/forum/photos/bill_young/picture22377.aspx
    '73 Midget (V6)
    '73 Lotus Europa
    '98 Jag XK8

•  01-14-2010, 7:30 AM 22380 in reply to 22378

True enough, Bill Young. But, and the reason I was a tad confused, they sometimes come perfectly sized. I've had it happen. Who knows?...
    Motorbill
    From Lola to Land Rover, If it's British and has wheels, it's likely I've bloodied me knuckles thereupon
  •  01-15-2010, 6:27 AM 22399 in reply to 22380

Same here, the ones I installed in the MGB uprights I put on the A were fine. I think a lot of them get crushed a bit when they are installed, mushroomed a bit on the end from the press or driver.
    '73 Midget (V6)
    '73 Lotus Europa
    '98 Jag XK8