Moss Motors, Ltd

Our Sites: Moss USA | Moss Europe
The Moss Motors Forum is now read-only for informational purposes. The Moss Motors forum was
formed at a time when other forums were just getting started and other forums have proven that they
are a better model. We closed the forum because there is an abundance of information on more popular
forums and anything that was being posted, and answered, on our site was diluting the general knowledge
base. We suggest you check out BritishCarForum.com and MGExperience.net for a start.
Welcome to Moss Motors, Ltd Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

ENGINE VERY TIGHT AFTER REBUILD

Last post 10-07-2009, 12:37 PM by PHIL WILKINS. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  10-04-2009, 1:35 PM 21301

ENGINE VERY TIGHT AFTER REBUILD

I have just completely rebuilt my 1600 engine to specs.  I have re-inspected rod - cam- crank bearings three times.  All bearing surfaces look in excellent shape.  The origional bearing inserts looked very good when removed.  I install all standard bearing inserts.  I lubricated torqued rod bearings at 35 FT#.  The crank bearings at 50FT# as by my shop manual.  I have mounted the starter to motor on engine stand.  It then turns over like a going dead battery with all components installed.  The pistons are .30 over and the boreing looks like a mirror.   The pistons can be moved in the cylinder by hand with little more pressure than  expected.  The engine turns over great without the plugs.  Where am I with this?  Could it be compression and the new valve springs? 

Thanks for all the good info.  ED

•  10-05-2009, 4:42 PM 21310 in reply to 21301

Re: ENGINE VERY TIGHT AFTER REBUILD

Are you sure that the timing marks on the crankshaft and the cam gears are lined up as per the shop manual ? If the engine turns over great without the plugs, the problem is likely that you are having compression on a stroke that you shouldn't.

•  10-06-2009, 4:45 PM 21317 in reply to 21301

Erensi-

To me it sounds very much like the problem may well be your starter or battery after all. Before I did anything drastic w/ the motor I would make sure the starter was in A-1 condition, that it had a good ground and solid connections. It could be that paint is causing a poor connection to ground. Also, if the battery you are using has been sitting for any length of time it may have gone bad. Have you tried a different battery? A good battery and starter should be able to turn over that engine with the plugs in if the engine turns freely with them out.

Just my opinion.

LCJUTILA 

•  10-07-2009, 9:50 AM 21322 in reply to 21317

I had a second thought that you might do before taking the front cover plate off; take the valve cover off and see that each valve opens when the appropriate valve is closed (number of each two valves=9). When # 1 valve is open, # 8 is closed with correct clearance; #2 open + #7 closed, #3 open + #6 closed, etc.—check all eight valves

•  10-07-2009, 11:34 AM 21324 in reply to 21317

IT ISNOT THE BATTERY OR THE STARTER.  BOTH ARE NEW AND TESTED. I TOOK TWO DIFFERENT COMPRESSION TESTS WITH TWO DIFFERENT GAUGES AND FOUND EACH CYL. READ APPROX. 93# THEN STOPPED TURNING FOR A FEW SECONDS THEN TURNS A COUPLE REVS.THEN . STOPS AGAIN FOR A FEW SECONDS.  I CAN ONLY ASSUME THAT I HAVE TOO MUCH COMPRESSION AT EACH CYLINDER.  POSSIBLY PISTONS TOO LONG OR REFACEING HEAD AND OR BLOCK TOO MUCH?

THANK'S FOR YOUR IMPUT.  ED

•  10-07-2009, 12:10 PM 21325 in reply to 21324

Ed,

How does the engine do at turning over with the ignition off but with the plugs installed? If it does better, you may have way advanced ignition timing. Set the timing statically to about two degrees BTDC and try again. Is the firing order 1-3-4-2? That would be correct. Distributor rotation is counter clockwise.

I doubt you have increased the compression so much that the starter won't handle it, very seriously. The starter and battery may be good, but how are the connections? and are you sure you are using heavy enough leads? Did you crank the engine over to establish oil pressure before trying to start it? Also, can I assume the engine is still out of the car?

The camshaft is solid state. It cannot open the valves out of sequence, one relative to another, but the cam timing could indeed be wrong overall. That's a pain! Let's eliminate everything else first. Consider these questions and we'll get it solved, I'm sure.

Motorbill
    From Lola to Land Rover, If it's British and has wheels, it's likely I've bloodied me knuckles thereupon
  •  10-07-2009, 12:29 PM 21327 in reply to 21324

Ed,

93 # is not too much compression by any means! The engine turns over fine with all four plugs out. Correct? Try turning it over with only #1 plug in. If OK, try #1 + # 2 then #1 + #3; #1 + #4, if OK, then to #1 and 2 + #3; #1 and 2 + #4, I would expect that some where in this sequence you’re going to find the problem.

•  10-07-2009, 12:37 PM 21328 in reply to 21301

hi.i just wanted to say at this stage,that to save yourself anymore problems ,or money /costs.you should consider an exchange engine which has been refubished by a professional establishment.

I say this because you say the cylinder bores are mirror finish.i do not understand why you go to all the effort as described,only to leave the bores with a worn mirror finish.?  At the very least you must have bust the glaze in the cylinders, if you have rebuilt the engine,if not maybe you just like blue smoke.

phil wilkins