Moss Motors, Ltd

Our Sites: Moss USA | Moss Europe
The Moss Motors Forum is now read-only for informational purposes. The Moss Motors forum was
formed at a time when other forums were just getting started and other forums have proven that they
are a better model. We closed the forum because there is an abundance of information on more popular
forums and anything that was being posted, and answered, on our site was diluting the general knowledge
base. We suggest you check out BritishCarForum.com and MGExperience.net for a start.
Welcome to Moss Motors, Ltd Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

1972 HIF4 Carb mixture adjustment ?

Last post 10-11-2006, 8:42 AM by mgb1972. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  10-11-2006, 8:01 AM 190

1972 HIF4 Carb mixture adjustment ?

I have a 1972 MGB that probably should have been parted out rather than being restored due to the serious rust. But I'm going to give it a shot this winter. That said, I believe the rear carb is running lean over 3000 rpm. I know HS4 carbs have a mixture adjustment nut on the bottom. Mine has HIF4's, which are a totally different animal which I'm new to.

Now, supposedly, there's a mixture screw . Is this screw external and easily adjusted or internal ? And where is it?

Thanks for any assistance.  

Bruce

•  10-11-2006, 8:35 AM 208 in reply to 190

Re: 1972 HIF4 Carb mixture adjustment ?

Bruce

The mixture adjustment on your HIF (horizontal integral float) S.U. carburetters can be found just below and offset from the mouth of each carb. The front one is to the front and the rear one is to the rear. It will appear as a protrusion of the body's casting with a hole in it (about 5/16') .You must have the air cleaners off to make any sense of this. If you look down the bore of this hole you'll see a crossed set of screwdriver slots, not to be mistaken for a phillips head screw. They are a bit of a pain to access and I long ago built a special screwdriver out of a standard stubby to make the adjustment easier on my customer's cars. Clockwise richens the mixture and anti-clockwise weakens it.

A note of caution is in order. If this car has not had carburetter attention in a long time, it is possible that it has old jets which are susceptible to what we've always called "stretched jet syndrome". The jet is composed of a brass tube molded into a plastic holder which is in turn positioned by the mixture screw via a bi-metalic bellcrank affair invented by satan. Sometimes the brass tube would begin to pull up out of the plastic holder causing incubable leanness. To check for this, screw both jets all the way rich and see if one (perhaps the one you mention as going lean) won't go nearly as far as the other. If this is your problem, don't mess around. Put a rebuild kit into both carburetters and replace both jets. While you're at it take note that the floats in these babies are well known for sinking. Not a great thing for something called a FLOAT! You may gather that I'm not a big fan of HIFs. Hope this helps

motorbill

Motorbill
    From Lola to Land Rover, If it's British and has wheels, it's likely I've bloodied me knuckles thereupon
  •  10-11-2006, 8:42 AM 214 in reply to 208

Re: 1972 HIF4 Carb mixture adjustment ?

Whoever designed this thing obviously never had to work on one.

I will check into it...and most likely just get the rebuild kits and be done with it...hopefully.

Thanks!

Bruce