Moss Motors, Ltd

Our Sites: Moss USA | Moss Europe
The Moss Motors Forum is now read-only for informational purposes. The Moss Motors forum was
formed at a time when other forums were just getting started and other forums have proven that they
are a better model. We closed the forum because there is an abundance of information on more popular
forums and anything that was being posted, and answered, on our site was diluting the general knowledge
base. We suggest you check out BritishCarForum.com and MGExperience.net for a start.
Welcome to Moss Motors, Ltd Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Replacement Seatbelts for '72 MGB

Last post 09-22-2009, 4:23 AM by reagd. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-14-2009, 9:33 AM 18404

Replacement Seatbelts for '72 MGB

Hey Posters,

I'm looking for a direct bolt-on replacement for seatbelts in my '72 B. It seems most of the aftermarket stuff fits only '73 and later or requires welding a second mount to the wheel arch. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

MattInSoCal

Filed under: , ,
  •  03-15-2009, 6:22 PM 18418 in reply to 18404

Re: Replacement Seatbelts for '72 MGB

I bought a set for my 71 MGB from a place called Car Stuff:  http://www.car-stuff.com/store/?N=11292+4294964719+1673+11921+9169
  •  03-20-2009, 4:57 PM 18497 in reply to 18404

Matt.

I'm one of the weld in advocates. I mounted the second mounting on the driver's side of my 1970 MGB a couple of months ago, so now have some road time to make comments about. I'd also like to go on record as being one of the movers and shakers of getting seat belts into the catalogs as I'm an advocate of retractable belts.

I'll do a photo shoot when I weld in the passenger side boss and see about getting it up on the website or in British Motoring. It was late at night when I did the driver's side, so the images might have come out a bit lurid.

1.  In 1973 the trans tunnel belt mounting points were moved forward by about 4 inches. This allowed the use of the shorter steel cable receiver assembly. In earlier cars, if you normally have your seat all the way back, you can still mount the 222-025 stalk mounted receiver belts, but if you have shorter legs you may either need to add a strap to extend the stalk or use the 222-030 belt set which has traditional, non stalk mounted latches.  I'm 5' 9", weigh 185 lbs and really like the stalk mounted receiver in my 1970 MGB. No fumbling for belt ends.

2.  The weld in captive nut mount that was fitted to the 1973 onward MGBs is really the way to go if you want a shoulder harness. It really isn't a big deal to install.

a. Jack up the car and remove the rear wheel

b. Lift up the carpet over the wheel arch. Do this carefully as the carpet tufts can pull out. Fold the carpet as far back as possible so that it will not be damaged by the heat of welding.

c. Use a hole saw to cut a hole through the inner fender about 1" up from the battery cover ledge and as far back as you can without cutting through the double layer flange.

d. Offer up the mount assembly from the outside. Make sure that it will sit flush against the wheel arch. Drill or stamp four holes in the outer mounting flange, then grind off the paint on the inner arch where it mounts.

e. Plug weld the four holes, giving time between each weld for the metal to cool off and ensure that the interior trim is out of the way of the welded area. You are welding on the outside of the inner fender, so there is not much chance of any welding sparks hitting the interior of the car but take all rational precautions.

f.  Once the welds have cooled, clean the areas with a wire brush then prime, paint and undercoat as you wish.

g. Fold the carpet back over the wheel arches, install the belts and away you go.

Alternatively the mounting plates could be installed using modern auto body adhesives. The boss flange is on the outside of the sheet metal, so it would take an incredible force to pull it through. Modern adhesives are more than strong enough for this application as long as the mounting surfaces were correctly cleaned. This would require no welding and would be as strong, if not stronger.

Drop me a line if you have any questions, I'd be happy to go over the work I did

regards

Kelvin Dodd
    Global Sourcing Engineer
    Moss Motors, Ltd.
    Helpful Links:
    Code of Conduct
    FAQs

Disclaimer: Working on automobiles is inherently dangerous. Moss Motors, Ltd. is not liable for injury or damage due to incorrect installation or use of their products. All products are sold with the understanding that the safe and proper installation and use of the products is the customer’s responsibility. Follow factory workshop manual procedures and instructions, but use current shop safety standards and common sense. Some tasks will require professional advice or services which Moss Motors cannot provide.
  •  04-20-2009, 8:19 AM 19008 in reply to 18404

Thanks to both of you for the response. I appreciate your input.

MattInSoCal

•  09-22-2009, 4:23 AM 21129 in reply to 18404

MattInSoCal:

Hey Posters,

I'm looking for a direct bolt-on replacement seatbelts in my '72 B. It seems most of the aftermarket stuff fits only '73 and later or requires welding a second mount to the wheel arch. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

MattInSoCal

Arghh.. My dad just got me into trouble. He removed the seatbelts of my car now he is leaving without replacing them. I don't have any idea on pulling this bolt-ons.