Moss Motors, Ltd

Our Sites: Moss USA | Moss Europe
The Moss Motors Forum is now read-only for informational purposes. The Moss Motors forum was
formed at a time when other forums were just getting started and other forums have proven that they
are a better model. We closed the forum because there is an abundance of information on more popular
forums and anything that was being posted, and answered, on our site was diluting the general knowledge
base. We suggest you check out BritishCarForum.com and MGExperience.net for a start.
Welcome to Moss Motors, Ltd Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

MGB Clutch bleeding

Last post 05-04-2008, 2:42 PM by maceropa. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  05-04-2008, 9:54 AM 14223

MGB Clutch bleeding

Need a little, make that a lot of help. I've tried to bleed the clutch and have gotten nowhere. As a result, the children in the neighborhood have learned a whole new lexicon of four letter words.

Tried using a large syringe and injecting the fluid up from the bleed screw, tried pumping clutch and bleeding. Pumped the clutch slowly, quickly.

Do the clutch lines get old and clogged? Am I doing something wrong in the process? 

Thank you 

•  05-04-2008, 10:11 AM 14227 in reply to 14223

Re: MGB Clutch bleeding

Have you just replaced the clutch slave cylinder?
    Motorbill
    From Lola to Land Rover, If it's British and has wheels, it's likely I've bloodied me knuckles thereupon
  •  05-04-2008, 11:02 AM 14230 in reply to 14227

Thank you for replying.

No I haven't. Should I just start by replacing the slave, pushrod and hose. I haven't done it yet and it looks like it never has been replaced.

Also, may I ask, I just installed recently rebuilt su hif4s on my 73. The first carb looks like its flowing nicely. The second looks dry as a bone. I've adjusted the jets to make sure they are even with the bridge, and it has new fuel lines/hoses. I am about to replace the fuel filter but I'll be darned why the second carb doesn't seem to be getting gas. Needless to say, anything revs over an idle starves out.

Thank you again. 

•  05-04-2008, 1:32 PM 14232 in reply to 14230

The reason I asked about the replacement Is that many folks simply loosen the hose, dismount the cylinder and "unwind" it from the hose, after which they reverse the procedure. The problem is that the new cylinder never winds up at exactly the same position, and when it is mounted back onto the  gearbox, the hose is usually twisted and fails shortly thereafter. It must be disconnected from the chassis/ body uniit first, and reconnected there last to insure longevity. These slaves are not generally all that difficult to bleed. Is yours configured such that the bleeder is above the level of the hose? The components can be swapped, and are often shipped with the bleeder where the hose needs to be for an MGB.

Of course, it's possible the hose or slave, or even the master are just plain shot. Are you trying to bleed the unit because the fluid was gone? If so, something is most likely amiss. The fluid doesn't just evaporate. Please give me some more detail about the whole picture/process. Thanks.

Motorbill
    From Lola to Land Rover, If it's British and has wheels, it's likely I've bloodied me knuckles thereupon
  •  05-04-2008, 2:42 PM 14233 in reply to 14223

rubber hydraulic lines do get swollen over time which leads to poor clutch operation. I have always used my mytyimac hand operated vacuum pump for any kind of bleeding with 100% success. Make sure to keep an eye on the fluid level as you bleed.

Paul Macerone

1968 MG Midget