Moss Motors, Ltd

Our Sites: Moss USA | Moss Europe
The Moss Motors Forum is now read-only for informational purposes. The Moss Motors forum was
formed at a time when other forums were just getting started and other forums have proven that they
are a better model. We closed the forum because there is an abundance of information on more popular
forums and anything that was being posted, and answered, on our site was diluting the general knowledge
base. We suggest you check out BritishCarForum.com and MGExperience.net for a start.
Welcome to Moss Motors, Ltd Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Flat towing a 71 MGB with tow bar

Last post 04-02-2008, 9:25 AM by wellwoodautorestoration. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  04-01-2008, 4:28 PM 13693

Flat towing a 71 MGB with tow bar

Hello I am a newbie here trying to find out if anyone here has flat towed a MGB with a tow bar ? And what is the best way to hook it up to the car ? I was thinking of pulling the front bumper and using the bumper bracket mounting bolt holes, should this be safe. I will be towing about 1000 miles.Thanks
  •  04-01-2008, 5:21 PM 13694 in reply to 13693

Re: Flat towing a 71 MGB with tow bar

I towed an MGA that way for many miles, to and from race tracks.  I removed the front bumper, had two swivel brackets made up that bolted in place of the bumper and allowed a tow bar (triangle shaped) to attach to either side.  Worked fine for several years.  The one thing I also did was to disconnect the drive shaft at the rear end and tie it up to the frame.  It was maybe not necessary, but I always felt better doing it.  I also had two large trailer tail lights that I bolted in place of the rear bumper and wired into the tow car so there would be tail and turn signal lights.  That's necessary in some states, I think. 
  •  04-01-2008, 9:05 PM 13698 in reply to 13694

If you really are determined not to use a trailer, then by all means, disconnect the driveshaft.
    Motorbill
    From Lola to Land Rover, If it's British and has wheels, it's likely I've bloodied me knuckles thereupon
  •  04-02-2008, 9:25 AM 13708 in reply to 13693

Hi there. I have flat towed several MGB's behind our motorhome with a towbar and no problems. I did not disconnect the drive shaft as I wanted it to be able to drive. Towed 1300 miles and more over few days.  To hook up the tow bar brackets I removed the front bumper over-riders only and drilled out the mounting hole to 1/2 inch to accept the bolt for my swivel brackets. Then using the grade 8 bolts I mounted the brackets to the front bumper face bar through the bumper mounting brackets. Leaving the bumper on braces the front frame brackets. Then I made a simple connector to the wiring plug on the motorhome with a mating plug-in and about five feet of wire. Strip and solder the wire ends to about 1/2 inch and then you can slide the soldered ends into an appropriate bullet connector between the rubber sleeve and the contact tube to give signal, tail and brake lamps. Leave the harness coiled up under the  bonnet and you are ready to tow again. I had no problems at all and felt the whole  hookup was strong enough for highway towing. Don't try reversing though.

Cheers and good luck.  Dave