Moss Motors, Ltd

Our Sites: Moss USA | Moss Europe
The Moss Motors Forum is now read-only for informational purposes. The Moss Motors forum was
formed at a time when other forums were just getting started and other forums have proven that they
are a better model. We closed the forum because there is an abundance of information on more popular
forums and anything that was being posted, and answered, on our site was diluting the general knowledge
base. We suggest you check out BritishCarForum.com and MGExperience.net for a start.
Welcome to Moss Motors, Ltd Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

"PECO" header for MGB fitting?

Last post 09-12-2010, 1:00 PM by PHIL WILKINS. 14 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  11-29-2007, 7:57 AM 11791

"PECO" header for MGB fitting?

Hi all!      Question for you....Has anyone fit a "PECO" brand header to an MGB? Question is, will it go in with the engine in? I have seen some headers that are a real bear to install. Don't want to have to do any bashing with a hammer ect.Surprise Have the engine out now for a rebuild, and if need be, can wait to get header.

Thanks!

Mike

"Cogito ergo Zoom"
    "Love your freedom? Thank a Veteran"
  •  11-30-2007, 7:07 AM 11795 in reply to 11791

Re: "PECO" header for MGB fitting?

Mike,

A few weeks ago we installed a whole Peco system on a B. The fit was good and fairly easy, with the engine in the car. It was a rubber bumper model, but I doubt that would be of significance. It's a nicely made system, especially the header. Enjoy.

Motorbill
    From Lola to Land Rover, If it's British and has wheels, it's likely I've bloodied me knuckles thereupon
  •  12-01-2007, 6:31 AM 11808 in reply to 11795

Thanks for the info Bill.

BTW: I never got around to installing the roller rockers due to life getting too crazy. BUT...have the engine out for a rebuild now. Seems the cam failed and the lifters were cratered. No more synthetic oil for me! Going with a new Crane cam and all matching components. Will installl the rocker set up and let you know what happens. Waiting on parts..........story of my life.

Mike

"Cogito ergo Zoom"
  •  12-11-2007, 12:00 PM 11993 in reply to 11808

Mike:

Usually the Peco header fits without too much of a problem. The worst part is getting the 2 into 1 bit wiggled down into the tunnel. In a couple of cases I've had to remove some of the rear manifold to head studs to get a bit more clearance.

Kelvin Dodd
    Global Sourcing Engineer
    Moss Motors, Ltd.
    Helpful Links:
    Code of Conduct
    FAQs

Disclaimer: Working on automobiles is inherently dangerous. Moss Motors, Ltd. is not liable for injury or damage due to incorrect installation or use of their products. All products are sold with the understanding that the safe and proper installation and use of the products is the customer’s responsibility. Follow factory workshop manual procedures and instructions, but use current shop safety standards and common sense. Some tasks will require professional advice or services which Moss Motors cannot provide.
  •  12-11-2007, 12:44 PM 11997 in reply to 11993

Kelvin,

Was that on a chrome bumper car?

Bill W.

Motorbill
    From Lola to Land Rover, If it's British and has wheels, it's likely I've bloodied me knuckles thereupon
  •  12-11-2007, 12:59 PM 11998 in reply to 11791

My experience with the RB that I own is that I had to remove the head studs to get the Peco in properly.  This was on a car that had some sagging mounts, that I have since replaced.  I don't know if the fresh mounts will make a difference, but I'll find out soon enough as I have to return the car to SMOG legal conditions soon.
  •  12-11-2007, 1:22 PM 12000 in reply to 11998

OOPS!

I just spoke with our mechanician, Mike, who did the actual installation. He said that he undid the left side motor mount and jacked the engine up just about 1 1/2 tads to ease the header in, but that it was "No biggie". Sorry for the previous misinfo. I'll watch it in future.

Motorbill
  •  12-12-2007, 9:12 AM 12021 in reply to 12000

Thanks for the info all! I will probably leave the head studs off, but may just set the header in and tie it up with wire when I set the engine back in.I was really afraid it would be like some of the headers for Midget/Bugeyes that you have to just about remove the heater box to snake in the header. 

Thanks again!

Mad Mike

"Cogito ergo Zoom"
  •  09-03-2010, 6:10 PM 24556 in reply to 12000

This is exactly what I want to do on my '79 "B".  Question is do I have to remove the carb, which is a weber 32/36 to install the header?  Thanks.
  •  09-07-2010, 7:26 AM 24572 in reply to 24556

NNN,

Since the same studs that hold the header fast to the head also hold the intake manifold in place, you will be removing the carburetter along with the intake

. Does this answer the question?

Motorbill

Motorbill
  •  09-11-2010, 6:52 AM 24601 in reply to 24572

I hate to put a 'spoke-in-the-wheel' but I have had a number of 'B's' over the years & for my 5 cents these headers do nothing to improve performance of a 'B' at all.

I fitted one to my latest ('73 chrome bumper) & after a few months i took it off & put the factory one back on with a single-box big-bore exhaust system & the car is going great.

I wonder if that's why i see so many used ones on EBay.

Good luck anyway.

•  09-11-2010, 8:27 AM 24603 in reply to 24601

True enough, the standard manifold/downpipe setup flows unusually well for a stock system. I recall Mike Barrett, at British Leyland back in 1969 or 70, saying so during a seminar he ran on emissions which was held for dealer technicians at USA BL headquarters in Leonia, New Jersey. Well! that shows how stinking old I am, but at least I still remember! There are headers out there, Peco among them, that do show better flow on a dynomometer, though not all THAT much better. If you were going to use a B motor in competition you would certainly want to use one. The difference is much more "real" when the cylinder head has been ported and reworked with bigger valves, etc.

It's easy to assume that an aftermarket header would be a performance improvement just by looking at one and thinking in racecar terms, but the INSIDE and the runner combinations/lengths of the system, regardless of the material from which it's constructed, is what counts. One advantage of the stock manifold is that it will resist cracking and general deterioration much better. Of course, this is all true concerning the PRE 1975 single carburetter combination intake/exhaust manifold, which flows about as well as maple syrup at minus 200 degrees centigrade.

If it is your intention to use a steel tube header, I heartily reccomend having it ceramic coated inside and out by one of the companies that offer this service. This will not only make the unit MUCH more resistant to heat cracking, but it will also lower the under-bonnet temperature considerably; say 20 or 25 degrees. That counts a lot with the SUs living just upstairs from the exhaust.

Motorbill
  •  09-12-2010, 8:53 AM 24613 in reply to 24603

When fitted to a standard engine,the biggest advantage is probably weight.

Your mention of ceramic coating got me thinking though,is there any way of coating the standard cast iron manifold,stove enamelling for instance,to pretty it up a bit?

•  09-12-2010, 10:23 AM 24615 in reply to 24613

The cast manifold can indeed be ceramic coated. We have had several done. First it needs to be thoroughly sand blasted, but then it behaves just as a steel tube header would. Most companies that do the coating will also do the blasting, and there many options and colors available

Motorbill

Motorbill
  •  09-12-2010, 1:00 PM 24617 in reply to 24615

stick in the mud thoughts.

i can still remember back to when my grandad used to drive a jowett javelin,his favourite saying - if it ain't broke don't fix it.

a header must be over the pond speak,never heard it before,sounds like an exhaust manifold maybe.

A standard b cast  manifold will last you a  lifetime,and perform well.A tin of high temp. exhaust paint will pretty it up if you must.

years ago,peco were famous for there big bore rear silencers,my dad had one on his midget,it sounded great,but no extra power.

i would suggest that a special manifold and thro' flow exhaust  etc.is only worth fitting if youv'e had a stage 2 tuned cylinder head fitted.then you would be able to release that extra power and enjoy a deeper exhaust note.

phil

phil wilkins