Moss Motors, Ltd

Our Sites: Moss USA | Moss Europe
The Moss Motors Forum is now read-only for informational purposes. The Moss Motors forum was
formed at a time when other forums were just getting started and other forums have proven that they
are a better model. We closed the forum because there is an abundance of information on more popular
forums and anything that was being posted, and answered, on our site was diluting the general knowledge
base. We suggest you check out BritishCarForum.com and MGExperience.net for a start.
Welcome to Moss Motors, Ltd Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

52 TD how to replace fender captive nuts

Last post 01-27-2010, 1:46 PM by Bill Young. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-22-2010, 4:03 PM 22491

52 TD how to replace fender captive nuts

Subject: 1952 MGTD_Looking for captive nuts for the back fenders

I am restoring a '52 MG-TD. I am looking for a source for the captive nuts for the back fenders. Some are still on the inner fender, I think they are 5/16 British Fine. I will also need some other sizes as the project progresses.

I would also like to find a handle for my original jack.

Can you help me?

Thank you,

S
    ----------

S,

Thank you for your inquiry.

The captive (or caged) nuts are not available as such. The "cages" on the fenders are part of the bodywork and the nuts inside them were placed there before the "cages" were closed when the fenders were manufactured. If your "cages" cannot be re-used by putting new nuts inside them and then pinching them closed, what I have done in the past to provide a nut for the fender-securing bolts is to epoxy the nuts in place on the inner fender. JB Weld works very well for this purpose and the only trick is to put a bolt and washer through the nut from the underneath while the epoxy is drying. This does two things: it makes sure the nut is tight to the inner fender and also aligned correctly so the bolt will start easily when you are assembling the fender to the car.

Moss Motors sells 5/16" BSF nuts under the part number 311-140. Moss has quite a complete range of British nuts and bolts available; you'll find them in the MG T-series catalog (or on line at www.mossmotors.com) listed under Hardware.

We did some research on the web and found a pictorial guide that explains in some detail how to make replacement captive or caged nuts.

http://www.dbraun99.com/mgtd15470/Tub%20and%20Wings/Creating%20Captive%20Nuts/MG%20TD%2015470%20Restoration.html

It is quite a process, involving the services of a friendly machine shop.

I regret that we do not know of a source for used original jack handles. Consider posting an "item wanted" email on one of the MGT forums.

Moss Motors Technical  Services

Christine Knight
    Marketing Assistant

Helpful Links:
    Code of Conduct
    FAQs

Disclaimer:Working on automobiles is inherently dangerous. Moss Motors, Ltd. is not liable for injury or damage due to incorrect installation or use of their products. All products are sold with the understanding that the safe and proper installation and use of the products is the customer’s responsibility. Follow factory workshop manual procedures and instructions, but use current shop safety standards and common sense. Some tasks will require professional advice or services which Moss Motors cannot provide.
  •  01-27-2010, 1:30 PM 22540 in reply to 22491

Re: 52 TD how to replace fender captive nuts

Wink

If you wish to spot-weld new caged nut to the inner fenders, captive square nuts and the correct retainers are available in two sizes (10-32 and ¼-28 screw size) from Todd Clarke at Clarke Spares.  I used the ¼-28 on my TF.

•  01-27-2010, 1:46 PM 22541 in reply to 22540

Re: 52 TD how to replace fender captive nuts

Another source for a suitable replacement if you need larger sizes such as 5/16" is McMaster-Carr. They call them "easy align weld nuts"

'73 Midget (V6)
    '59 MGA (I6) under construction
    '73 Lotus Europa
    '52 MG TD kit car body project.
    '98 Jag XK8

"There is a fine line between a hobby and mental illness"